Tuesday, August 2, 2011

On Habitual Writing


Resisting the i-Calendar.

I was a devoted filofax owner for nearly ten years, in spite of my futile dabbles with various palm pilots and (at&t) cell phone calendars. Leaving my trusty ol' schedule scrapbook at the office meant calling in to my co-workers on a sick (or vacation) day to flip to the page with the upside-down ruler to fill in the blanks of the schedule I was ditching. And then one day I decided to make a mediocre attempt to take my paper calendar online (gmail to be exact), with little faith that my usual efforts would make me an e-convert. But then the unexpected happened: I was hooked almost immediately. What I expected to resist -- a constant right hand on the nagging electronic device in my back pocket -- became a convenience. Rather than shuffling through papers to dis-confirm a dinner date, my forefinger swiped a gliding scroll of numbers and months until (as if by magic) that day of that week suddenly appeared. The next thing I knew I was trying to convince my resistant filofax-friends to join me on the other e-side, by disproving their arguments and relating to their fears (and blogging about it today) on a regular e-basis. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment