Tuesday, June 17, 2014

On My First Road Trip


NYC to Denver, circa 1997.

I was nineteen when I went on my first road trip-to help my sister move from NYC to California during the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of college.  I was charged with making it to Denver and then hopping on a return flight back to Brooklyn while she drove south to visit an old boyfriend off the beaten path.  I'd never been to Colorado before, knew nothing about it, and spent the majority of highway time sulking like a sullen teenager.  Until the day we made it to the Rockies.  Between hazy details of modest hotel rooms and expected sisterly squabbles, we drove straight towards Estes Park and were immediately enamored by the vastness of the mountains and calmness of their neighboring rivers. For the first time in over a week, us city girls were speechless, finally finding commonality in the humbleness that rediscovering nature can occasional welcome.  Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment: