Monday, September 20, 2010

On Muses of the Past


The Local Library.

I spent the majority of my elementary school years writing reports on two topics: George Washington and the Dominican Republic. By fifth grade, the tracing paper was an insult to my flag-replicating skills, and I knew the exact shelf (in the back, on the right-hand side in the Children's Sections) of the 9th Street Public Library (see photo to the right) on which the usual, dusty DR books awaited my annual check-out. Today, I imagine those books still sit, dustier than ever, since most children have abandoned the back, right-hand side (perhaps rightfully so) for google/bing/kindles and the chance to learn twice as much, twice as fast. How lucky and unlucky they are, without even realizing the double edge of the (electronic) sword with which they trace their own flags today. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'll take your DR and raise you the Great Barrier Reef, which was most often my topic of choice.

    ReplyDelete