Tuesday, November 2, 2010

On Ranting and Raving


And a Whole Lot O'Guilt.

I'm a door-stander and I ain't proud. Ever since I read this rant ten short days ago, I've been overcome with guilt. Twenty-three rides later (twice/day to and from work, one day of overtime I probably deserved, and a one-way visit to the 'rents), I've perfected the head-hanging door-lean, filled with more shame and humiliation than the time I crashed into our family aquarium in 1992 (RIP Timothy the Fish). And you probably wonder why I don't change my hypocritical ways, a question I often as myself, too. The truth is I also refuse to park patiently in line to exit the FDR, feel disdain towards trick-or-treaters who ignorantly interrupt the best parts of Grey's Anatomy, and laugh at the worst kind of inappropriate jokes. And, yet, for every innocent bystander scolded at work for being late on account of my poor subway manners, or candy-less Power Ranger waiting patiently at my doorstep, I'll never fail to illuminate the MTA subway map for an out-of-towner, toss change in the direction of a pathetic attempt to replicate the Beatles, and semi-regretfully pass up a lucky penny in hopes that the next person who finds it needs the luck more than I. In life, we do what we can't until we don't, and that's just the way it goes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment