Wednesday, July 21, 2010

On the Perils of Visibility


And Wanting What We Can't See.

It's the allure of mystery that keeps us interested, from grade school crushes more focused on video games than love letters to the fate of the Mad Men for whom all Sunday night plans must be canceled. But when the mystery is unveiled-through tweets, chats and status updates-we're left wanting for nothing. Our intrigue is replaced by a growing need for instant gratification, and patience with insatiable greed. This is precisely why I never watch previews and my crappy cell phone has unreliable reception. It keeps the mystery real-and my relationships alive-when I can't hear or see the people with whom I'm expected to converse on a regular basis. Just leave me a message and maybe I'll call you back, if you're (un)lucky. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I have always thought(for forty years) that the secret of a good marriage(whatever that means)is not looking too closely at your partner. There are so many times one ought to walk away for a while(at least as many times as one does not). Our demands are incessant, and sometimes unreasonable. I do believe though, watching my daughters in their relationships, that they have already given their partners the breathing room that my generation, always looking over shoulders, did not always do. We were soooo introspective.

    ReplyDelete