Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On Being an Aunt


Long Distance Style.

It's true what they say about instantly loving the newest family member without exchanging actual words - since babies can't talk - or (in my case) since we haven't even met (in person) yet. Living multiple states away during one of the more joyous, monumental family milestones (aka first offspring of the next generation) comes with its pluses (although I can't currently think of any) and minuses, and counting down until (the bris in two weeks where) I can actually touch/smell/hold/kiss the infant-in-the-photos is (what I consider) a major downside. And yet the joy felt by his first-time mother (my sister) and grandparents (my parents) is evident in (brief) phone conversations and i-phone-captured (10-second) videos, making me all the more excited to count down to my own (first) reunion with baby (Derek) in less than fourteen days. And, in some ways, I'll get to be an aunt-for-the-first-time twice: long-distance style and up close & personal. Enjoy!


[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. A bris in the home, a circumcision in the hospital-the same but different. I am thinking about my own son's bris, so much family crowded into in our small house (during a heat wave,yet.) Family mostly gone, now. But that day they all came, so happy to be at an event that signaled the continuance of their family and our religion. They rejoiced in sentiments that were new to me, but familiar now that it's my turn to act the sentimental fool. With my grandson! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete