Wednesday, March 5, 2014

On Dreading the Gym


Dread-mill Anxiety.

After running my first (and only) half-marathon less than a year ago, and then immediately vowing it would be the beginning of many, I nearly quit exercising altogether.  Our wedding came and went, the winter arrived, and now-knee deep in inconsistently frigid temperatures and multi-layered winter wardrobes just to get to and from my day job-what once seemed an endlessness of great health and elevated-heartrate-possibility became the often-dreaded obligation of a lifetime. Excuses came and went, cute cold-weather gym clothes abandoned, and my own resting heart rate took a back seat in the very last row.  And then I did it: I rejoined the local gym (ahem) two days ago.  I'm two for two this week, boasting on social media as an exerciser-in-want-of-accolades often does, as I painstaking compare myself to the 19-year-olds who attend the coinciding university while I catch my breath to stay afloat the treadmill, and quickly remind myself that while a life without exercise is easy to embrace, the pros significantly outweigh the cons, and it doesn't take much to find that inspiration to over-commit and reignite the impossible...as long as I don't think I'll ever be twenty again. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment