Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dear (Metropolitan) Diary:



Sincerely, Carly Einstein

Excited about my new commitment to incorporate two pieces of fruit into my daily routine, I was unaware of the widening rip in the bottom of my paper bag as I eagerly walked to work one recent morning. The next thing I knew, there went my apple and plum, in opposite directions, rolling across the puddle-ridden pavement, dampened from the early-morning drizzle. Before I had time to fully grasp the magnitude of my situation, following closely behind were two scrambling strangers, eager to break the fall of my highly cherished fruit, with the valiance of determined princes but the success of the ill-fated beast. One of the men slipped backwards, the apple merely centimeters from his grasp, as bystanders watched with disbelief at the ensuing debacle of New York City's generosity at its best. Eventually he resurfaced, (muddied) apple in hand and, no doubt, a bruised back and humbled ego. As I turned to express my gratitude and concern, both heroes were already gone, riding off into the dust of the rest of their urban day. Enjoy!

2 comments: