Tuesday, March 13, 2012

On Everything I Need to Know


I Learned from Soap Operas.

General Hospital (aka GH) was my afternoon television show of choice throughout the majority of the late 80's and early 90's, beating out the usual suspects of cartoon programming (Dennis the Menace, Strawberry Short Cake, Alvin & the Chipmunks and so on) for my one-hour allotment of weekday entertainment. Little did I know this particular soap opera would be the one consistent force over the next decade of my life as nearly every aspect of the world changed around me. Graduating into the double digits, the junior high school and high school years were marked by new neighborhoods and class schedules, friendships that may or may not survive, boyfriends and curfews, and a glimpse into adulthood that had only been seen on television (at 3:00pm to be exact). And through the whirlwind of this uncharted (adolescent) territory, Luke continued to pine after Laura, Tracy and Edward Quartermaine continued to scheme, and Sonny and Brenda never stopped being soul mates. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment