Wednesday, May 9, 2012

On Bad Habits


Coffee & Cigarettes.

I was studying abroad in Sussex, England when my first cigarette was handed to me, in the desolate vestibule of a deserted campus dorm, as the British campus security guard glared at us from the walkway.  I was twenty-one years old, awkwardly balancing the Camel Light between two unsteady fingers, not sure whether to feel cool or guilty (-I felt cool).  I followed the specific instructions of my new Californian best friend (let's call her Tiff), holding the smoke in my mouth before inhaling, and within minutes (approximately eight), I was a pro.  We spent the next six months perfecting our craft: on French balconies overlooking cities we'd only read about in history books; over coffee and Victorian novels, one book assigned per week; and on overnight sleeper trains, when we were too afraid to doze on account of notorious, sleeper thieves.  Five years later, I quit smoking on December 1st, 2006.  Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment