Thursday, February 20, 2014

On (RIP) Philip Seymour Hoffman


Character Actor Tragedies.

Every once in a tragic while, the news of a movie star's sorrowful death catches your breath as if you knew them personally even though your non-relationship existed solely through the people they portrayed via a television screen.  For me, I found out in an email from my mother. Did you see this!, she wrote, and I hadn't and, in that moment, I still wish I hadn't, because Philip Seymour Hoffman was my slice-of-life, independent (film) hero, encompassing faces and voices and personalities I had come to pity and empathize with in the most engaging and committed of manners (btw, my mother calls these "boring" films, preferring spy flicks and murder mysteries, but I seriously beg to differ).  Broken characters are where I thrive, my solace from an already-broken world, and PSH represents entree into a deeper, sadder, eternally captivating perspective on what can and does happen on and, so unfortunately, off screen. (RIP.)

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment