Monday, October 11, 2010

On This Coop...


There is Animosity.

I was neither a skeptic nor a fanatic before I joined the Park Slope (Brooklyn) Food Coop almost three years ago, but it's not too difficult finding out on which end of the spectrum most other locals stand. As a 'volunteer walker,' in which my sole task is to accompany members to their homes while they push (coop) carts full of fresh produce and coop treats (and I bring the empty cart back), I am rewarded with slices-of-(their)-lives as enticing as chapters from the novel I've regretfully neglected by my bedside. The less-than-three-hour shift (per month) is rewarded with dental horror stories worthy of campfire s'mores, the ins and outs of the Big Apple Circus (from a manager high up in the ranks), and tips about how to spice up sunny-side eggs (over sauteed kale and red onions) from recent culinary graduates. To me, the coop is unworthy of extreme stances but, rather, represents unexpected adventures of strangers and neighbors alike. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment