Thursday, January 6, 2011

On Cyber Mind Reading


Mathematical Brain-quations.

I cannot deny the pang of envy that surged through my eternally cold bones as I read about this stranger's uncanny connection to the nets (in spite of his complaints), as if his self-worth lies in the seemingly calculated decision of an emotionless machine to spring to life for the sole purpose of guiding him towards his next soul-mate novel or Sunday afternoon activity. Am I not worthy of such wisdom, my interests uninspiring or - worse - immature? (Dawson's Creek 4-eva-EVA!). And then it happened. Less than a split second after I googled a local shoe store to discover the hours of operation during which I would eventually replace my beloved Tretorn's (which, fyi, betrayed me during my greatest hour of need - the blizzard!) zappos.com sought me out via a personalized email entitled, "this is YOUR year!" with caps and exclamation point included. Yes, zappos, this IS my year! (Enjoy.)

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. My slant: I received a Netflix yesterday, something about goofy, nerdy kids, and wondered which of MY goofy nerdy kids had ordered this moronic film. (Three of us vie for first place delivery.) Turns out that my tenant was the culprit-she had just joined Netflix and forgot to tell me. My apologies to my kids: you can now order season 2 of Cummunity...Some things never change ;))))

    ReplyDelete