Thursday, January 13, 2011

On Growing Up Too Fast


And Preparing For It.

While some people coast through life without a second thought for their eventual nostalgia, my self-aware, overly-reflective attitude and approach to nearly everything around me requires a constant preparation for this emotional contradiction. Eager to welcome back my baby brother to New York City, equipped with a brand new set of bachelor degree skills and confidence, I wince through the pangs associated with my childhood mattress being thrust onto the sidewalk to make room for his self-imposed office. A masters degree that took one year too many to achieve instills both expertise for a promising career and sadness for the textbooks I'll never buy and the grades I'll never show off. Fantasies of the children I will one day raise flash before my eyes as friends overproduce facebook albums of weddings and toddlerdom, as I secretly reminisce about afternoons in the 11th street playground with childhood classmates I now sentimentally watch from afar. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

2 comments:

  1. sometimes i only arrive at your blog so i can read what you've written, not the articles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you not think I recall the exact moment that picture ( on your blog was shot? Taken twenty years ago, on Cape Cod, on the bay side, on a gray afternoon, by your dad. We all try to taste the moment, let the flavor linger as long as possible, but nothing is forever.

    ReplyDelete