Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On Finding Faith



In Affordable Places.

Whether I have a stomach of steel or an unnamed relationship with the powers that be, the facts are as follows: An emetophobic my entire life, my eighteen-year streak came to a traumatic end during a camping trip out west two summers ago. I was the first of (at least) ten people (including three out of my five camping companions, two out of our three hosts after the camping trip, and almost everyone our hosts came into contact with once we returned to nyc) to become cursed with the one affliction I've spent my entire life avoiding: the stomach flu. And yet I was the only victim to whom the affliction was kind - a one shot deal, so to speak - while everyone else recounts endless hours of what they all agree would surely have driven me to an early grave. Since then - two years into my next hiatus (knock on wood) - I've wondered many-a-times why I was spared, to which I am, once again, drawn back to the facts: As I lay frozen on the floor for the ten hours that followed, moving only to sob into the receiver to my semi-comforting mother, I recited my usual anti-nausea prayers - the consistent exception to my atheist tendencies - and, well, I cannot deny that my prayers were answered, whether by my own fierce will power or, alternately, by someone or something greater than myself. Either way, if you haven't knocked on wood yet, now is not the time to start tempting fate. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment