Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On Finding Your Soulmate


One Click at a Time.

In a technology-driven society, the options for tailoring the criteria of your future life partner to match the interests of your weekend hobbies are limitless. Perusing the list of quirky yet creatively-crafted website dating opportunities (ahem, see article for details), I ran down a laundry list of what my single self would entertain. Favorite page-turner? Anything Eggers. (alikewise.com) Mac or PC? Mac, circa 2007. (cupidtino.com) Ivy Grad? 'Little three', close enough. (dateharvardsq.com) And in this hypothetical pursuit, my not so single self smiled at the glaring irony of this fictional companionship, which would undoubtedly replace my current dining room conversation - delineating the pros and cons of literary fiction versus modernist prose - with repetitive recitations of overly-familiar Eggers, Foer, and Chabon passages, elicit tacit wars between the macbook and macbook air, and shamelessly solidify my unfounded East Coast College Snobbery. Thanks but no thanks, Alternate Universe, as I've really enjoyed catching up on (all) the Russian literature I seemed to miss during my tenure as an English major at a (seemingly) prestigious university. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment