Thursday, November 7, 2013

On My Grandmother and I


Glimpsing the Past.

The few old photographs framed around my apartment bring glimpses of the past on a regular basis, however hazy the details.  In this one picture in particular, tucked in between earrings and necklaces in my red velvet jewelry box, is a picture from the mid 90s of my grandmother and I.  We're sitting in the pews of a synagogue during a Jewish holiday, no doubt, and I look miserable and sullen, as most pre-teens during obligatory family gatherings do, in my over-sized t-shirt and homemade, knee-length, cutoff jeans.  She's leaning forward nudging me to force a smile, and while I don't remember this exact moment in time, I easily recall the feeling of being cranky from adolescence but happy amongst family, and most definitely counting down until dinner time where I would inevitably consume my grandmother's famous matzah ball soup.  Enjoy!  

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment