Tuesday, November 5, 2013

On the Open Road


Windows Down.

The longest road trip I've been on was a ten day excursion during the summer of 1999, when my sister relocated from New York City to California, a few short weeks before I returned for another summer at sleep away camp (my real joy) and her and I parted cities for the foreseeable decades to come.  First stop, Amish country (aka Pennsylvania), where we were in bed by 5pm watching reruns of daytime soaps.  A few days later, we broke into Boys Town to spy on the students described so eloquently in a Neil Diamond song we'd just played on repeat on the uninspiring highway.  We eventually made it to Estes Park, camping out (in cabins) at the YMCA, where we joined traveling families for arts and crafts and hot cocoa. And our last stop, ironically, was Denver, a city I spent less than an hour in eating lunch with a college friend, wishing my sister luck on her new adventure, and excitedly returning to the east coast.  Enjoy!
 
[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment