Tuesday, May 17, 2011

On Graduation Day


Let the Commencement Commence.

After four years of graduate work at NYU - some in psychology, some in social work, and most in non-profit management - I finally get to walk down the (graduation) aisle in a (royally) purple robe today to celebrate my trials and tribulations of finding the ideal career path. (Pffft, how naive.) Yet as I reflect on the timid, twenty-something, 'first-year' psych student I was back in September 2007, who rigorously wrote - and re-wrote - endless hours of non-graded prose on personality theory associated with Freud, Jung, and Erikson (through the lens of Tony Soprano's Mother), I feel a sense of appreciation towards the enormity of the the ever-evolving world around us, as (I assume) it typically goes before walking down an(y) aisle of accomplishment: friends & lovers have come and gone, illnesses (& wars) have been discovered and fought, grandparents have passed, self-reflection has ensued, confidence was gained, skills were fine-tuned, goals have been set (and met, and missed), failures have been learned from, countries have been visited, presidents have been elected, fears have been (nearly) conquered, and wrinkles have deepened (with wisdom, of course). As Dr. Seuss so articulately reminds us, "[We] will, indeed [succeed]! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)" In life, aren't those odds high enough? Enjoy.

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

2 comments:

  1. That post made me teary. The ideal career path-is there such a thing? But you will-have!-succeeded:a hard won degree, great family, great friends, great partner. 98 3/4%? Those odds ARE high enough and you have more than met them.
    PS:That was a very interesting Soprano paper.I still have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't be more proud of a good friend if I tried. Have a great day today! I'm sending good wishes! And one of those hugs where you can't breathe for a second.

    ReplyDelete