Friday, April 13, 2012

On (My) Public School Education


Graduation Class Size: 1K.

In spite of the crowded hallways and over-sized classes, I made sure to nail the extra credit on French language exams and master (and secretly enjoy) AP calculus equations. And while history and geography didn't come as easily, it wasn't for want of trying. I sought private tutoring lessons in preparation for the annually dreaded NY State-required Regents test (from my American History teacher), and cried through (the bad kind of) parent-teacher conferences with Mr. Cohen, who did everything in his power to attempt to teach me about the Middle Ages. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is so hard to respond to. My first response was, where were Chico's parents? As a sub in the NYC school system, I know better. I knew firsthand the exhaustion of parents lucky to get home at eight at night (many from the sewing factories on Second Avenue in Brooklyn)and fall into bed. Asked by this helicopter mom: Did I put the fear of God into my kids or did I get lucky having cooperative children? ALL my kids are veterans of the public school system, which served them well. But so did their parents. With their help.

    ReplyDelete