Monday, January 14, 2013

On Being Pen Pals


Postmarked 1908.

With less than ten hours to explore Austin, Texas last month during a work-related visit, I combined recommendations from fellow travelers, friends, and (the travel section of) the New York Times, and ended up on South Congress Street.  Known for it's plethora of vintage, thrift and antique shops, I found myself in a sea of other people's lives, picking through used clothing, kitchen utensils, tin boxes, magnets, stamps, screwdrivers, and records, imagining who and where these dusty collections once lived.  And then I found the postcards - dating back to 1908 with carefully-written (one-to-six line) notes of birthday and holiday wishes, updates on afternoon activities, inquiries about warranted visits, shout-outs to siblings and parents, promises to stay in touch, and almost always a sincerity and longing to be close again.  If and when I got back to Austin, this will be my first (and potentially) only stop. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment