Wednesday, February 6, 2013

On Being Frustrated


The Eventual Writer.

The first time I took the pen to the page was during senior year of college when I enrolled in my first (and only) creative (fiction) writing class.  On day one, the teacher declared that she only gave out grades in the b-range, that her husband was the mastermind behind the famous elephant books called Babar, and, oh yeah, feel free to stop by during office hours.  Over the next few months, I struggled relentlessly to create characters, dialogue, and story lines that captured the reader (let alone myself) and eventually found myself taking her up on her office-hours-invitation, deperate for advice.  I told her how frustrated I was, that I didn't know how to write, that I hated it, that what came naturally for others didn't work for me, and that I shouldn't be in her class. Her response (while simple and direct) changed everything. She said, Write about what you know.  A few months later, I got an A in the class and, several years after that, I found myself blogging about being unrelated, human nature and everyday life.  Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment