Friday, February 1, 2013

On Brooklyn Born


Physical Limitations.

Growing up in Brooklyn, sports wasn't in my vocabulary, except at sleep away summer camp that one time I was forced to run one lap around a soccer field and quickly cried my way out of a second.  I used the same tactics to get out of swim class in day camp years earlier, and ranch camp in 1991 when I was too scared to get into the stall with my overly-calm horse, Pepper.  In college, unbeknownst to me, we had to run one mile around a track to qualify out of "running gym," I barely passed the finish line and - mortified and exhausted - cried myself to sleep.  Now, in Denver, where the oxygen level is 18 percent less than the air in which I grew up, I force myself to overcome my fears of physical limitation and make up for the un-athletic childhood I once welcomed with unpracticed arms and tear-stricken confidence through daily exercise and a renewed urban outlook.  Enjoy!  

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. Good on you!! But, sounding from the last few posts someone sounds homesick.

    ReplyDelete