Monday, September 30, 2013

On Walter White


(Article Spoiler Alert.)

Unlike most Breaking Bad fans, I didn’t have weeks or months to mull over whether Walter White would end up in jail, dead, or sailing off the coast of an unnamed island. Quite the contrary: my investment in Walt’s fate has been an intense whirlwind (19 episodes over a 48-hour period and, yes, I am utterly exhausted today), in which I watched one horrific scene after another in order to enjoy the series finale with the rest of the nation, confident that my bedtime dreams would be filled with murderous threats, irreparable bombs, and gory, unexpected deaths.  And filled they were but with an unyielding sympathy to a severely flawed character, whose erratic decision-making processes I was (strangely) always able to get behind.  And so, in those last few minutes of a relentless, committed television companionship, I was joyously stunned by how easily my own heart felt at peace with the outcome, secretly rooting for even the most tortured souls to find redemption, including but not limited to Mr. White himself.  Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]   

1 comment:

  1. Bravo to you for catching up SO QUICKLY! Would have liked to have joined you on the couch with baited breath last night. So much to be said! And sointeresting that you were one of the ones who held on to a thread of sympathy for Walter White. My thread disappeared seasons ago... UNTIL 2 episodes ago when we had to watch him pay the cabin guy $10,000 just to stay with him for an hour. That choked me up.

    ReplyDelete