Wednesday, August 18, 2010

On the Challenges (and Benefits) of Unwinding


Read this Article and Prove Me Wrong.

Within the span of one month, both my new and old roommates admitted to an oncoming, major life change: upgraded cell phones. They are, in my humble opinion, abandoning me and my internet-less, service-weary, thorn in (our) side, pathetic excuse for a (cell) phone for instant access to email, gps, and (give it time) Foursquare. And when theyandothers assure me that they are different from the masses (yeah, sure), my response is simple: Prove Me Wrong. Until I can get through a meal in which even the simplest cell phone doesn't nag at my dinner companion's back pocket, or their "work" email doesn't trump our heated happy-hour debate (is there even such a thing anymore?), my anxiety about a future without uninterrupted conversation or sans meaningful eye contact will continue to fester. If only the urgency to be needed/desired/calledupon on the nets could be replaced by the urgency to be lookedat/listenedto/andreallytrulyheard. The Times, They (sure) Are A'Changin'. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this. ok, so i may at some point be among the converted, but i still COMPLETELEY appreciate what youre saying. oh, and i will NEVER play foursquare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've added my cell phone to my already cluttered Baby Brain (or more accurately, Mommy Brain) and I cannot remember things I talked about an hour ago.

    It's good to know that climbing a tree might help me out.

    Thanks for this great article. I've passed it on to my colleagues.

    ReplyDelete