Wednesday, October 26, 2011

On Literary Digressions


Detract-ions or Attract-ions?

Until now, I've always considered footnotes a digression from the path down which I am typically traveling with a focused and determined gaze. To break concentration from the intricate details of the likely tangled relationships of my latest fictional companions,* is to break stride towards the finish lines of other people's lives. Unless, of course, that path leads to hidden divulgences privy only to the dedicated few who take the time to wander down the road less traveled. Enjoy!

*I consider myself a literary devotee, as opposed to historical or non-fiction.

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. on behalf of Stormy521 (who really needs to figure out her computer): To tell the truth, I have always read/skimmed footnotes-and bibliographies.But I am only searching for the historical.Having just finished Salem Story, I was amazed at how much the author based on ORIGINAL texts. We're talking 1692 here. Am I the only one who finds it amazing that these eyewitness accounts actually exist? All found in the footnotes!

    ReplyDelete