Friday, February 17, 2012

On Engagement Rings


Just a Rock?

My parents were married for over 30 years (as of last month, 41!) before my father surprised my mother with a (semi-engagement) diamond ring. The story goes something like: they were young, broke, and in love - the ring did not matter. And yet today the ring is all the rage. Facebook walls document carat and cut within forty-five seconds of real-life proposals while pinterest showcases numerous collections of must-have's. (BTW - To Those Not On The Pinterest Bandwagon, Get On Already!) Enjoy.

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. on behalf of Stormy521: "The ring doesn't matter except for its symbolism and we are so inculcated (in America) we assign a wedding band a romantic symbol that's hard to escape. Even after thirty years, I felt the sense of the incomplete without one. Sure, I got one, but then it was too small, not a big stone in a fancy setting like the 'other girls' had. So, call me nuts, but after forty years now, I'm STILL feeling the loss of an overweight diamond on my left hand. And if you think I'M crazy, I know someone who missed having an engagement ring so much, she went out and bought herself one. Now, THAT'S liberated..."

    ReplyDelete