Monday, February 20, 2012

On RIP Whitney


I Will Always Love Her.

My main memory of Whitney Houston is nearly identical to that of most people my age. In 1992, we all sat in our neighborhood (movie) theaters wondering if Costner had it in him to save the day this time (-he always does). Sitting next to Joanna Stein, a middle school friend who would (one year) later make me cry at her 13th birthday party, I was mesmerized by Whitney as she belted out the words to I Will Always Love You in the final scene (?), with her perfectly red lipsticked mouth and bright, white teeth. Like most, my immediate next stop was the (local) music store (called 'Soundtrack' on 7the avenue in Brooklyn, NY) to buy The Bodyguard soundtrack (a cassette), which I would play ad nauseum for the next several weeks, and then search ruthlessly for in 2012 when I heard the (terrible) news. Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. I remember coaxing my son to watch The Bodyguard. A girl movie? Well, he loved it, so there!

    ReplyDelete