Wednesday, February 8, 2012

On Germaphobia


Within Reason.

A NYC-to-Denver transplant a little over five months ago, people often ask me if I like living in Denver. My typical answer is I like things about Denver, with half a committed foot in the City I call home while the other half dabbles a mile higher than usual. The things I'm referring to are the usual suspects -- the things everyone likes about Denver: the beautiful views, access to mountains (sans skiing, for me), the (much) slower pace of (daily) life, and the (extreme) kindness of strangers. But one of the things I like most about this city, which rarely makes it on other people's lists, is the ability to forgo the germ-infested, chaotic commute of the NYC transit system and, instead, walk leisurely from my car (when I'm not sharing it with my roommate) to my cubicle each morning, bite into my breakfast fruit (usually an apple) without having to wash my hands! Oh, Subway Poles, how I do not miss thou, especially after once-upon-a-time (about 8 years ago) observing a homeless man walk up and down the F-train car, wiping his grimy hands on every piece of metal he could access. (I'm clearly still traumatized.) Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment