Tuesday, January 7, 2014

On My Least Favorite Subject Ever


American History X.

In junior high and high school, Math and English were the subjects that came most easily to me but put a history book in my lap and I'd fall asleep faster than taking three Benadryl simultaneously.  The facts, dates, and names just went in one ear and out the other no matter how many hours my mother practiced with me (she is an English and history buff herself) or how many afternoons my HS European History teacher stayed after school just to ensure I (barely) passed the statewide exams.  So you can imagine my insanity when I enrolled in a Medieval History course in college - by choice! - because the alternative was Biology 101, and how many hours were wasted away reading aloud antiquated, ear-deafening prose over the phone to get my mother's perspective on what the heck they were writing about, and how never to make this mistake again.  Enjoy!  

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. Wasted? Wasted?! I'm shocked! Shocked!
    The other day I was at Barnes and Noble when three 12-year olds asked me for the name of a poet "they could do a report on." I suggested Emily Dickinson. They had never heard of her.
    I'm shocked! Shocked!

    ReplyDelete