Thursday, April 10, 2014

On What Happened Last Sunday


Confronted By A Phobia.

Friends and family have one question for me this week: am I over it now? You see, this past Sunday, the worst possible thing that could ever happen ... happened: I got the stomach flu. An emetephobic since childhood, this meant coming face-to-face with my lifelong fear, the one thing I've spent time, energy and money avoiding at all costs.  And the worst part was (if there is such a thing) it happened at exactly the same time (15 min, to be exact) that my husband/roommate/bestfriendguy also got sick.  I'll spare you the details because, really, all anyone wants to know is if I'm over it now.  But that's not really the question they should be asking.  Sure, I'm as over it as anyone who wasn't there wants me to be. Rather, what's important is that I learned, first, I can be resourceful when faced with a scary situation and, if I can do it, anyone can.  Second, it's the people you may not expect who will be there for you if you need them and when you ask.  And, finally, that my (dearest) life partner, no matter how ridden with my own worst enemy he is (aka the stomach virus) will always put me first (-to confess, I fearfully abandoned him for a friend's germ-free bathroom and saintly care, but he called every hour on the hour in spite of being in significantly worse physical shape than I) and there's no one else I'd rather be sick with (if I absolutely, positively must).  In a word, we survived together and being over it is quite secondary.  Enjoy!  

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment