Friday, April 4, 2014

On Our Pathetic Communication Habits


Goodbye Punctuation, etc.

Not only has electronic communication began to diminish our measly interpersonal skills but there goes decades of elementary English education, as well.  At my current job, my office houses two communal mugs, both with punctuation rules attractively printed around the brim to entice a learning lesson in the most eager coffee or tea drinkers alike (something about verbs and commas). And while I hoard one in my office for its shape and size (-it's one of those weighty, thick, white mugs that makes drinking water even feel enticing),  I couldn't recite the rules if you threatened my life.  It's not because I haven't read them either, or attempted to remember them, since, sometimes in the privacy of my own desk, I recite them multiple times in a row.  But, rather, I blame the casualness of our technological communication, where anything goes, literally goes down the drain, with no one commenting or correcting even the minorest (ahem) of errors and the forgiven overuse of (ahem) commas.  Enjoy! 

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment