Friday, May 16, 2014

On Being An Ei(se)nstein


Circa the 1990s (at Summer Camp).

Her name was Carla Eisenstein and I kept getting her mail.  On most days, I returned it without a second thought, but there was definitely an occasion or two where my excitement for a letter from a friend or family member resulted in me ripping open the wrong envelope before I gave it the necessary second glance. And it was only when I accidentally discovered a check - from her grandmother or more distant relative, I assumed - that I realized the implications of my ways. Federal prison flashed before my pre-teen eyes as I debated what to do - hand the check in and, in turn, myself, risking life imprisonment (hey, I was only thirteen; what was I supposed to think!) or get rid of the evidence before anyone saw my suspiciously guilty fear?  To be honest, I can't tell you what happened, partly because I don't remember and also because I fear what might still happen (though I do know my bank account didn't get $15 richer!), but I will say I was quite relieved to learn that my nominal doppelganger never returned to camp again.  Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

No comments:

Post a Comment