Monday, July 21, 2014

On Choosing a Name


An Unexpected Power.

Thanks to my parents, my own names have been quite good to me-first, middle, and last-which is why, when I got married last August, it wasn't such an obvious decision to give up on "Einstein." A built in icebreaker and science-related conversation starter (-a subject I can moderately hold my own in), my middle name has also been known to redirect uncomfortable exchanges back to everyone's favorite 80s rom com (hint: Ferris Bueller's girlfriend's name) and an occasional subsequent dissection of best and worst quotes in competing Molly Ringwald, Patrick Swayze, and Emilio Estevez films.  So choosing a name for another impending human being is no lighthearted task, as decades of teasing and inappropriate jabs to come combined with frenemies from grade schools past eliminate even the modest of possibilities while memorable one-liners encourage unexpected potential.  Enjoy!

[Blog Reminder: Click on Subtitle Above for Article.]

1 comment:

  1. Wellll, if your child takes your last name, it will open-really open-doors to her that are sometimes flagrant, sometimes subtle, but always entertaining-as you can attest to. It's hard to have a distinct last name, and yours cannot be beaten. Or forgotten. It's a charm.

    ReplyDelete